Fresh off yet another sweep of the hapless Yankees I think it’s time to revisit a conversation we’ve had several times over the course of the past decade. Is it time to start rooting for the Yankees? In the past whenever we raised this question the logic was always that this rivalry is no fun when one side just keeps kicking the shit out of the other like we’ve been doing all century. I mean it’s hard to get fired up when you know the other team doesn’t belong on the same field as you. And after watching the Sox sweep the Yankees yet again in front of 10 people at Yankee Stadium in maybe the most depressing game in the history of baseball I think it’s safe to say the rivalry is officially dead. I mean the Yankees couldn’t beat us in a 7 game series if their lives depended on it. They know it. We know it. Everybody knows it. But that doesn’t mean we should stop paying attention to NY. Because in light of how much we seem to struggle with Tampa Bay it would be a huge advantage to us if the Yankees somehow managed to win the wildcard. Yeah I know that seems like crazy talk, but who knows? The bottom line is that if by some act of god they manage to sneak into the playoffs that all but guarantees us a spot in the World Series. So yes the rivalry may be dead, but the Yankees can still make themselves useful to us. So here is my question. Is it time to root for the Yankees so we don’t have to play Tampa or even Toronto when it counts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment